One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Thursday, May 20, 2010

We're a day late on this story: Villa to Barcelona

I have often said I have never understood what people see in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. No doubt the big Swede or "the magnificent nose" as Ray Hudson calls him, has plenty of talent to spare, but he never shows up for the big occasion.

Well it seems Barcelona have rectified last summer's poor buy of Ibra by signing one of the deadliest goal-scorers in the world, former Valencia striker David Villa. The Blaugrana have reportedly swung the first big coup of the summer for a transfer fee of £34.2 million and an annual wage of £7 million for Villa.

Villa, who will turn 29 later in the year, is just a superbly clinical finisher and I love the move the for Barca. He is the type of front-running forward that scores goals, not setting them up which is what makes Ibra a strong forward.

For me Spain are the best national team in the world despite their early exit from the Confederations Cup last summer at the hands of the U.S. If I were a betting man they are the team I would pick to pull off the first European Championship/World Cup championship in successive tournament since France did so in reverse fashion in 1998 with the World Cup and 2000 with the Euro championship. And the reason I bring this up is that he joins six other Spain internationals - Puyol, Iniesta, Sergio, Pedro, Pique, and Xavi - and potentially Cesc Fabregas could be on the way as well. Scary when you think about it

I would also have to say Villa is also a class act. After making the switch, a move that was really necessary for Valencia, who are in rough shape financially despite returning to the Champions League this year finishing third in La Liga, Villa wrote a letter to the fans saying Los Che felt like home for the last five years that he played there.

"I get a lot of feelings, leaving many friends, but knowing that it is good for the club,'' Villa said. "At Valencia I have grown as a player and as a person. At Valencia I have felt at home from day one and nobody will doubt it to be that way forever.

"I want everyone to know that it has been a great source of pride for me to wear this shirt. It has given me so much and I will always carry it in my heart.''

Villa helped Valencia win the 2008 Copa del Rey and will move on having fired the club to a third-place finish in La Liga in 2009-10 to return the club to the Champions League.

"I leave with the satisfaction that the club has returned to where it deserves to be every year - fighting among the best in Europe in the Champions League.

"I would like to send a big hug to all the fans who have always given so much love, from the day of my presentation until the last match at the Mestalla.

"Also to all my colleagues who have helped me to improve, to all the technical staff I have worked with and to the leaders, especially (Valencia president) Manuel Llorente, and employees, with whom I have worked side by side."

The other interesting side-note is that David Silva - not to be confused with David Villa and who had made up the other half of Valencia's fabulous one-two punch - may now also be on his way out the door. Silva, who to is a Spain international, is being highly sought after by Real Madrid.

Silva nearly left last summer for Manchester United, but it appears now that the Royal Whites have their man and Valencia after selling Villa are also willing to sell their second most prized asset.

Following the completion of the £34.2 million deal that took Villa to Barcelona, Valencia president Manuel Llorente said on Wednesday: "I do not discount further exits."

No comments:

Post a Comment