One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

There's only one Charlie Davies

It's been a great day for the U.S. men's national team (which is not something you could say much recently).

As Shimer already noted, Clint Dempsey returned to the field for Fulham and now comes word that Charlie Davies is also on the mend and hoping to play for his French club Sochaux by next month.

Just the fact that Davies is alive is a miracle (not a word I toss around liberally) which makes his possible comeback for this World Cup one of the story lines I will be following closely with regards to the U.S. men's national team.

"I'm outside, running at a good pace, as far as jogging, cutting, agility and playing with the ball," he said in an interview posted Wednesday on the team's Web site. "I'm starting to dribble and trying to get the movements back. By the end of next week, I'll think I'll be pretty confident to end up joining the team again in training."

I don't think it's fair to have any real high expectations for Davies this summer but I think if he's playing with his club and is game fit, just being with his teammates in South Africa will be a huge boost. I have no problem giving him a roster spot over Brian Ching or some scrub that won't play anyway.

We've already seen how lost Jozy Altidore and the rest of the U.S. attack is without the pride of New Hampshire and Boston College. Davies had just come into his own on the national team level last summer at the Confederations Cup and undoubtedly the combination of him and Altidore up front is one that gives me a nearly constant boner.

As I've said before, offensive players with flair and creativity are virtually non-existant commodities in the United States so when we find one like Davies, we have to do everything we can to use all his talents.

"I definitely feel that I'm able to get back towards the end of April," he said. "I feel really confident that I'll be back to myself as far as physical able to run, cut, shoot and do everything that I could before."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/4986532/ce/us/us-forward-charlie-davies-hoping-play-french-club-team-month?cc=5901&ver=us

No comments:

Post a Comment