One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Charlie Davies' War


People who bitch and moan about the trivial nature of Twitter should really visit Charlie Davies' page. He's not exactly Deepak Chopra, but every damn thing he writes is inspirational. There's nothing I've read over the past three or four months that's put me in a better mood than Davies' Twitter feed.

This is from today:

Never Have I been so happy to be so tired!! Ran 3 miles yesterday & 4 miles today!! Ball work this afternoon. Loving fitness. Let's go!!!!

Certainly, my hopes are high. Probably too high. But at this point, any kind of career resuscitation by Davies is gravy. His mere survival was miraculous. All Associated Press stories about his car crash seem to end the same way: "His injuries included two broken bones in his right leg, a broken and dislocated left elbow, a broken nose, forehead and eye socket, a ruptured bladder and bleeding on the brain." Insane, right? Davies, shockingly enough, is training with FC Sochaux.

He may or may not make the World Cup squad. Even if he doesn't, it's been fascinating watching him improve. His optimism -- via his Twitter voice -- is palpable. Then again it has to be to even think about returning from the injuries he sustained.

From March 18:

It's official! I'm done with rehab!!! Leaving for Sochaux tomorrow! Who said I couldn't be back training so soon!? Let's go!! God Bless!!

This is a 23-year-old who only six months ago was traveling in a car that was sheared in half. To say that he's happy to be back doing what he loves is beyond an understatement. Most people (including myself) use Twitter to unload bits of driftwood that have been floating around in our brains. A lot of it is for our own amusement. But everything, and I mean everything, that Davies has written recently has been worth digesting. It just seems so organic, at least relative to the drivel I'm used to looking at.

From March 8:

Staying focused over here. I'm getting after it. Starting to touch the ball more & more in my rehab. I hope all is well! Bless!

Again, maybe I'm being too optimistic here. But it's hard not to be when Davies is involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment