One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Friday, December 3, 2010

For the 2018 World Cup, Russia was my last choice but I can be convinced otherwise (namely by these two dimes)


If you think NCAA sports or the BCS are corrupt (and boy are they ever), you have seen nothing yet until you witness FIFA award World Cup bids to undeserving countries.

I specifically woke up early yesterday to catch the announcements live. I should have known it was doomed from the start since I couldn't find decent coverage on TV so I was forced to retreat to my computer. Watching it on ESPN3.com, I was annoyed that it was delayed 30 minutes, another bad sign.

Finally, after all the pomp and circumstance come the bids. First up was 2018: (my order of preferences) England, Spain/Portugal, Belgium/Netherlands and Russia.

Of course Russia received 2018 and their committee of stereotypical tall, scary Russian guys and nameless babes celebrated and then made a brief, awkward speech on stage.

Shimer already told you how Qatar received the 2022 bid so I'll let that one stand on its own. Obviously, I was more disappointed with the latter since it affects me in a much bigger way but seeing Russia win was also puzzling.

Clearly, FIFA voters accepted bribes like you read about, it's the only way to explain the curious choices of Russia and Qatar. Both nations are filthy rich with oil money and under the auspices of expanding to new horizons, FIFA can say that they want to see the game develop more in virtual backwaters.

Whatever. Nobody in their right mind can make a logical case that Russia is more into soccer than England, Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands. For the bozos and clowns that get paid handsomely (legally and illegally as my man Lupe Fiasco would say), all that matters is that Russian officials and Qatar officials would line their pockets with all the money they would ever need and by the time these tournaments occur, they'll be retired and on some island.

I am 27-years-old so it's hard to surprise me these days, especially when it comes to matters in sports. However, I will say that yesterday definitely changed the way I will look at FIFA forever. Thinking that the U.S. had a shot was a waste of energy and it's going to take a long time to get over the anger associated with this ignominious day and these laughable decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment