One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Torres and Gerrard want to stay at Liverpool, Mascherano not so much


One of the most persistent rumors since Liverpool crapped out last season in the EPL and failed to qualify for the Champions League was that they would have a massive overhaul.

For now, I'm happy to say that Fernando Torres was quoted as saying he's happy to be "stay at the best club in the world." The Spanish striker was back at training after winning the 2010 World Cup with Spain and he said all the right things.

"My commitment and loyalty to the club and to the fans is the same as it was on my first day when I signed. I am looking forward to the challenge ahead," Torres said. "I am really happy to be back, really happy to stay with all my team-mates.

"This is the best club in the country so the targets and expectations are always high. At Liverpool the aim is to fight for every title. It was difficult last season, but we are sure we can improve this season."

New Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson always maintained that he wanted to keep the Reds' record-signing at the club and Torres said he was impressed to have been paid a personal visit.

"I really appreciated the fact that Roy came out to see me while I was on my holidays," Torres said. "He told me about his plans for the club and what he wanted from me and I appreciated that.

"I hope he will be the right man to reach the targets of Liverpool Football Club and I am really looking forward to working with him. At the moment I am training just on my own but as soon as I can I will train with the team and with the new manager."


Coach Rafael Benitez left after last season but his time was up anyways and that was expected. Hodgson has replaced him (from Fulham) and he also has captain Steven Gerrard back in the fold after Captain Fantastic pledged his commitment to Liverpool after the World Cup with England.

The only player looking to get out of Anfield is midfielder Javier Mascherano, who wants to get back with Benitez at Inter Milan. However, Hodgson won't let the Argentine leave without receiving around 25 million pounds in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment