One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Sunday, July 15, 2012

After Way Too Long, U.S. Men's Midfielder Michael Bradley Finally Signs With AS Roma


I can't tell you how much time I've wasted in the last few weeks frantically checking Twitter, espnsoccernet.com and cnnsi.com for any news about Michael Bradley going to AS Roma.

I had begun to worry that the transfer of the U.S. men's national team's best midfielder might not take place for some reason when I didn't read any new developments for way too long. Thankfully, I returned to my semi-sanity today as I found that it's finally official: Bradley signed a four-year deal worth 3.75 million Euros.

At only 24-years-old, the son of former U.S. men's head coach Bob Bradley and New Jersey native, has become one of the best American players of his generation. This move shows what people in Europe think about him as he should step in and start right away for a team that's not far removed from regular trips to the Champions League.

After bouncing around from Borussia Monchengladbach (Germany) and a loan spell at Aston Villa (England), Bradley found a true home at Chievo Verona (Italy, Serie A) last season where he made 34 league starts. He was clearly ready to take the next step in his development so that meant finding a better Italian club. I believe he stayed in Italy since that style of game (long possessions, controlled by the midfield, many passes and free kicks) best suited his improving skill set.

As a U.S. fan foremost, I'm happy to see Bradley go to a very solid club in one of the better leagues in the world. That can only be a good thing as he continues to strive for his peak form.

On a personal level, I'm extremely happy that he's going to Roma specifically since they play Liverpool a week from Wednesday night at Fenway Park-home of the Boston Red Sox-in a friendly. It looks like I will be able to cover that game too so I'm psyched to see one of my favorite U.S. men's players in action in my backyard.









No comments:

Post a Comment