One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Monday, April 2, 2012

I'll Buy Anything That Clint Dempsey Is Selling (Within Reason)


Take it from me, somebody who hates advertisements on television as much as anyone I've ever met. I do anything I can (DVR, changing channels) to avoid wasting any time watching ads on TV. That is until now.

As seen above, U.S. men's national team superstar and Fulham's Clint Dempsey stars in a brief ad for his new Nike cleat (called "mercurial") that I'm sure will be rolled out any day now on ESPN's family of networks, Fox Soccer Channel, GolTV, etc.

In it, Dempsey walks into an empty locker room while talking in his crazy Texas accent then puts on his U.S. uniform and these bright red cleats. I'm no Don Draper but I'm shocked that Dempsey hasn't had more ads since his career has blown up in England.

If anything, he should be all over the place (literally and figuratively) as the U.S. men play some high profile friendlies in the States before they begin World Cup 2014 qualifying later this summer. This ad makes me want to run out (or hop online as it were) and purchase these cleats along with any other Dempsey approved gear I can get my hands on.

I can only imagine what effect this spot would have if I was younger and still playing competitive soccer more often. Kids love Dempsey, any smart marketer would figure that out quickly and take advantage.





No comments:

Post a Comment