One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Friday, October 22, 2010

(spits out lager) Rooney signs 5-year extension with Man. U?


The latest development in the neverending drama with Wayne Rooney is perhaps the most surprising twist: after bashing Manchester United and showing every indication that he was on the next jet out of town, he signed a 5-year extension to remain there until June 2015.

Haha, what?

Only days after announcing he was prepared to leave the club he joined in 2004 because it was not aggressive enough in acquiring players, the star England striker said he was persuaded to stay following talks with manager Alex Ferguson and the club's American owners, the Glazer family.

The contract extension makes him the highest-paid player in team history and keeps him at United until June 2015.


"I'm signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history, which is the reason I joined the club in the first place," Rooney said in a statement.

Not surprisingly, his manager Sir Alex Ferguson is ecstatic to have his mercurial star sticking around.

"They've convinced me this is where I belong," Rooney said. "I said ... the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that have convinced me to stay. I felt I had to get my point across and we finally came to an agreement."

Ferguson signed Rooney six years ago for then more than $40 million. Rooney helped the club to Premier League titles in 2007, '08 and '09, and played on the team that won the Champions League in 2008. He was England's player of the year last season after scoring 34 goals in all competitions.

"I said to the boy that the door is always open and I'm delighted Wayne has agreed to stay," Ferguson said. "Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realize just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand.

"I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is. This is a big day for Manchester United."


I would bet anything that he didn't craft it himself, since he's an idiot, but Rooney's publicist/agent/manager made a fair assessment of what he has to do moving forward.

"I'm sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they've read and seen," Rooney said. "But my position was from concern over the future. It's up to me through my performances to win them over again."

Following this whole saga is making my head spin, no more Rooney talk (about off the field bullshit) until further notice.

1 comment: