One nation under Jurgen Klinsmann with dreams of goals for all



Got a tip. comment, criticism, idea, or suggestion email us at redwhiteandbluearmy@gmail.com

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Defoe out six to eight weeks with ankle injury


Watching Jermain Defoe score a hat trick against Bulgaria in a Euro 2012 qualifier last week, I texted back and forth with Shimer raving about how he was playing the best soccer of his life.

Such is the cruelty of sport that it all came crashing down with the news that Defoe will miss the next six to eight weeks with the ankle injury he picked up vs. Switzerland earlier this week.

Defoe is now due to miss the first half of Spurs' maiden Champions League campaign and is also a major doubt for England's next Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro at Wembley on October 12.

"Even if it's a bad sprain, you're still talking about six weeks or so, because it's a nasty one," Redknapp said.

Defoe, who scored a hat-trick in Friday's win over Bulgaria, had been expected to miss both internationals in the past week to undergo groin surgery but the operation was eventually shelved.

Defoe has been fitted with a protective boot and was on crutches at Spurs' training ground on Thursday.

The striker is likely to miss games against Werder Bremen, FC Twente and Inter Milan in the Champions League, the Carling Cup date with arch-rivals Arsenal and a clutch of Premier League games, including the trip to former club West Ham United.

The news contradicts comments from the player on Wednesday which suggested the ankle injury would not be a problem. He said: "I jarred my ankle or my knee but it feels alright. I've always said I'll do my best to make sure I'm out there. I've just got to rest it (the injury). I'll just keep icing it and I'm sure I'll be okay."


Injuries never happen at opportune times but Tottenham has to be especially upset since they're trying to do something in its Champions League matches while also maintaining a good start to their EPL campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment